Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions about Restart Runtime / pwr reload

Questions about Restart Runtime / pwr reload 6 years 5 months ago #9332

• Maja
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello everyone!

I learned with proview much things about process control systems and it is motivating me to do more with proview.
So while working with proview I got more interesting questions and found some answers in the forum but I want to ask again to be sure about the functionality of proview things.

So my questions:

1. I wanted to distribute a new plc programm and came to the conclusion that I have to restart every time the runtime to get a current version of my program. So, the question is how fast is the soft restart "Restart Runtime" (10,100ms? ) ? The question is interesting for people who are working in very fast process systems and they don't want to stop the process for a small change in the program. I know this questions came often in the past but no one asked how fast the "Restart Runtime" etc.

2. Is it possible to change the program without stopping the process station?

3. The next question is, that I don't want to touch the process station in the future, so I want to do "Restart Runtime" for example on the developer station. So I connected my developer station with ssh to the process station and did "pwr reload". So after this I got the error message in the console:

/etc/init.d/pwr: row 98: /usr/pwrrt/exe/rt_ini_wrapper: File or path not found
.Done

Thank you all.

Best regards and a good start into the week! :)

Maja
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Maja.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Questions about Restart Runtime / pwr reload 6 years 5 months ago #9336

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 502
Hi Maja,

'pwr load' doesn't work for the moment as the wrapper file is moved to /tmp. Instead you can use the command
> rt_ini -r

when logged in as user pwrp. When you have made a restart, the stall time (the time when the plc is not executing and not writing or reading the I/O) is displayed in the attribute RestartStallTime in the Node object. The resolution of the time display is only 10 ms, but you can get a higher resolution by selecting the attribute in rt_xtt, and enter the command 'set display integer'. This will show seconds and nanoseconds. When I do this on my test system I get a value of 52.9 ms.

The soft restart function has some disadvantages, the worst is that it doesn't seem to be 100% reliable, another is that changed values in existing objects are not updated in runtime.

/Claes

Questions about Restart Runtime / pwr reload 6 years 5 months ago #9337

• Maja
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello claes,

thanks for your response!

Well, with the command rt_ini -r is it working perfect, thanks!
The IO stall time is shown in the console after I do rt_ini -r, perfect too!

Maybe another question to the soft restart. My process station was running fine.
In the development station I wanted to add a new signal and put a little change to my plc program for the process station. So I add a signal "Dv" and changed a little bit in my plc program. The plc program includes a simple binary counter which I programed for a while.
After programming I distribute and restart with rt_ini -r . The program is added and the binary counter holded his values. So the soft restart is a good thing. I can change things while the plc is running.

From other topics I came to the conclusion that attributes of old objects are not refreshed with the soft start so that seems right but what are the other disadvantages (what do you mean exactly with "not 100% reliable etc., not changed values in existing objects are not updated") about the "Restart Runtime"?

Best regards

Maja
  • Page:
Time to create page: 8.638 seconds