Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Commercial use of Proview and the GPL

Commercial use of Proview and the GPL 12 years 11 months ago #2124

• marc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Hi all,

It's only a matter of time and companies will find Proview (commercial use).
Outside the forum I had a small discussion about Proview, the GPL and the commercial use of Proview.
I think it's time to start a threat which can be usefull for companies who want to use Proview commercial products so they don't break the GPL license.
The GPL is not anti-commercial, I am in no way a GPL advocate but I like the GPL because it protects people's Free Software.......

Disclaimer: This threat is no substitute for legal advice and just represents a subset of possible interpretations of the law and the GPL.
For a more complete FAQ please refer to www.gnu.org or www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Example 1

I have a company in air-conditioning systems and want to use Proview for the air-conditioning system in the companies buildings.
Am I allowed to use Proview?

My point of view:

/* Yes. You are free to run Proview in your air-conditioning systems.

(You may run, modify, redistribute copies and and to distribute copies of your modified versions to others of free software. */

Example 2

I have a company in air-conditioning systems and want to sell complete Proview/air-conditioning systems.
Am I allowed to sell complete Proview systems?

My point of view:

/* Yes. You are allowed to sell GPL software (Proview systems).
But, you must give your client the possibility to get the source code from Proview, the source code of the modifications you made in Proview AND the source from the projects you created in Proview because the binary files (from the Proview projects) are linked to libraries which are licensed under the GPL. You can NOT change Proview's (SSAB) copyright notices, nor make claims you wrote or created the program.
*/

The most important part of Example 2 is the code from projects created in Proview and sold in combination with equipment.
Is my \"point of view\" right, for example 2?

/Marc
Please, use the Wiki if you succeeded your project or solved your problem. Share your work, so we can learn from each other.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Commercial use of Proview and the GPL 12 years 11 months ago #2125

• robert
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Marc,

I would say your interpretation is correct. Hopefully Thomas Fischer (Live-CD creator) will read this. He is a rearcher in the open source area.

-Robert
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 8.495 seconds