Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Instances vs. "copy selected tree"

Instances vs. "copy selected tree" 12 years 1 month ago #3176

• vib150
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a project for monitoring and controlling a plant with 10 Ai, 5 Ao, 10 Di and 10 Do. I use modbus TCP and it works fine. Even I can store the signals in a msql every second, while the plcthread is 100ms.
Now, let's say that I want to expand this plant by adding new modbus-slaves.
If I'm not wrong there are at least two ways to do so. The first one is the "copy the selected tree" method. Basically consists in select the $PlantHier, click in the right-button and "copy selected tree-after/before". Same thing with the Modbus-TCP-Slave changing Ip address, and then connect signals and channels. The other way is to build components and add instances of this components in the plant.
At this point a couple of questions arises:
1.- How many new mosbus-slaves can be added, and wich are the limitations.
2.- If it is possible to add for example 200 modbus slaves, which method will be better, the instances or the "copy tree".

Thank you in advance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Instances vs. "copy selected tree" 12 years 1 month ago #3180

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 497
Hi,

1. There is no limitation in the number of Modbus slaves.
2. There is one problem with the Modbus slaves and that is that when you build an IO module for a component, it has to be a subclass the the Modbus_Module object and this can only contain one function code (or two, one for reading and one for writing if you use the Modbus_ModuleReadWrite). So you probably have to use the copy method.

The best way to copy is to use copy keep references in the menu, then you don't have to fill in the thread object. If you copy both the plant and node side at the same time, the signal/channel connections will also be kept. The trick to do this is to enter the command 'set all' that will show both the node and plant hierarchy in the same window. Now you can select both object trees and copy them together. Paste somwhere and move the new trees to the correct position.

/Claes

Re: Instances vs. "copy selected tree" 12 years 1 month ago #3182

• vib150
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Claes.

Thanks a million for your advise.

Just one question more to fill the topic. How many process can be run simultaneously in a process terminal?

Again, thank you very much.
Last Edit: 12 years 1 month ago by vib150.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 8.296 seconds