Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problems after crash recovery.

Problems after crash recovery. 6 years 4 months ago #9377

• siamect
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone...

I have a virtual box running linux and Proview devstation on a windows XP machine.
Proview version is 4.8.5-1
This computer crashed and I had to restore a one year old backup disk image.
After this restore I could run the virtualbox again and I restored the /usr/local/pwrp folder to the latest backup I had.

Now I have this problem:
Open project works but when I open a volume:

First I get "Database locked by other user".
If I click "Remove lock" I get a bunch of errors like this:
file dbody has LSN 5/2451066, past end of log at 4/16775144
Commonly caused by moving the database from one database environment to another
without clearing the database LSNs, or by removing all of the logfiles
from a database environment.

Has anyone seen this before and what can I do to make things work again.
The obvious things like "removing all of the logfiles" and "clearing the database LSNs" should give a hint, but I don't know where these files are and I don't want to screw things up more than I have to.

Thanks for a great project!
Martin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problems after crash recovery. 6 years 4 months ago #9380

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 502
Hi Martin,

For each volume there is a database directory on $pwrp_db, for example somevolume.db for the volume 'somevolume', and that is where the log-files are with names as log.000000015. Old log-files can be removed, and to be sure not to remove an active logfile there is a utitlity to do this. You can copy the database directory with cp -r and I would advice you to take a copy before you start experimenting. There is also a db_recover utiltity in the db-util package but I doubt that it will work if logfiles are lost.

The database though can be recovered from the dbs-file for the volume which you can find on $pwrp_load on the process station. This can be opened by the configurator and copied to and empty database.

- First remove (or rename) the volume directory ($pwrp_db/somevolume.db), enter the directory volume and save to create an new empty database.
- Copy the dbs-file from the process station.
- Open configurator for the volume, which now should be empty, and open the copied dbs-file from File/Open Dbs File in the menu.
- Select all the top hierachies and copy with the command 'copy /keepref'.
- Paste with the command 'paste /keepoid'.
- Everything should no be copied except the hidden volume object that contains a NextOix attribute that has to be transfered manually. Open 'FileVolume attributes' in the dbs-configurator and read NextOix. This value should now be inserted into the new database, but as NextOix is readonly, it has to be done with a command, 'set attribute/attr=NextOix/name=somevolume: /value=1234 /noconfirm'.

/Claes

Problems after crash recovery. 6 years 4 months ago #9387

• siamect
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Claes.
I will try...
/Martin

Problems after crash recovery. 6 years 3 months ago #9420

• siamect
  • Expert Boarder
I think I got it right according to your instruction, but now when I try to build the volume or node I get:

Object not linked to right parent!

After that the system is hanging, disk activity is high for a few minutes and to get out I have to go to the development console and ctrl-c.
Have you seen this before?

/Martin

Problems after crash recovery. 6 years 3 months ago #9421

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 502
Hi Martin,

No, I haven't seen this before. But it means that two siblings have different fathers, so obviously there is some disorder in the database.

You could try another method and instead of using copy/paste dump the dbs-file to text file and load the text file into the database.

- Open the directory volume and then open the dbs-file from File/Open/Dbs File.
- Enter the command 'wb dump/out="$pwrp_db/somevolume.wb_dmp"' in the dbs-file configurator window (replace somevolume with the name of your volume nsme in lowercase). Check that the file is created on $pwrp_db and that it starts with 'Volume' and ends with 'EndVolume'.
- Open a terminal window and do 'sdf' to the project. Enter shell command 'reload.sh somevolume' and execute the passes 'renamedb' and 'loaddb'. This will remove old database and load the dump-file into a new database.

/Claes
The following user(s) said Thank You: siamect

Problems after crash recovery. 6 years 3 months ago #9428

• siamect
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Claes, Du är en klippa!

It works fine now when I loaded the dump file according to your instructions.

Martin
  • Page:
Time to create page: 9.377 seconds