Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Proview & Snap7

Proview & Snap7 5 years 4 months ago #9999

• barnes
  • Expert Boarder
Its funny how all these communications protocols have caused such chaos. Protocols based on the token ring idea have some merit due to the peer to peer communications options. The master slave structure has its limitations.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by barnes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeginnerProview

Proview & Snap7 5 years 4 months ago #10005

Hi barnes

First thanks for your answer.

Yes you are right SIMATIC S7-300 use profibus module, I think it also applies to the SIMATIC S7-400. However for SIMATIC S7-1200 and SIMATIC S7-1500 they use PROFINET, as it is shown :

w3.siemens.com/mcms/programmable-logic-c...efault_vor_tabs.aspx

I don't know what it supports ProviewR protocol?
Does it support profibus and PROFINET?
And if so, how to use them with ProviewR?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Proview & Snap7 5 years 4 months ago #10006

• barnes
  • Expert Boarder

Here are the protocols supported by ProviewR.

I do not use Profibus or Profinet, I just saw the protocols in the selection menu.
I am mainly using the Modbus_TCP protocol.

As far as how to use the protocol, I would start with the man_gsg.pdf(getting started guide) and the man_iog.pdf (io guide). Download these from the Documentation section on this web site.

If I remember correctly, there are also a few MODBUS examples in the forum. After you go through these pdf's, if you are still having trouble come back and I will help if I can. I'm sure Claes is tired of all the questions.

The basic outline is that you create a new project, create new variables, select the protocol for your node, wire/attach your new variables to the protocol IO, and then compile and test. I found that having wireshark on the Proview computer is very advantageous.

I have set up a 20GB VM (virtual machine) as a development platform.
Due to the complexity of Proview my idea is to distribute Proview as a complete VM to help new people get started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeginnerProview

Proview & Snap7 5 years 4 months ago #10007

Hi barnes

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will start with the man_gsg.pdf(getting started guide) and the man_iog.pdf (io guide) as you mentioned.

For my case I haven't used VM (virtual machine).

I have install linux mint 19 on an USB key 64 GB. Then I start directly the PC from the USB Key. I have install ProviewR 5.6.1-1. Everything is working very well.

The reason I think (it's only my opinion) is that if for any reason the virtual machine has a problem it can affect the host operating system. On the other hand, if a problem appears on the usb key, only the usb key is affected. That's why I used an usb key. Moreover, because I have a 3.1 USB key, the operating system starts very quickly and also ProviewR.

Proview & Snap7 5 years 4 months ago #10017

• brunad
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Hi Mohamed,

I think it's not a real good idea to use linux (or any OS) on a key because it is slow and insecure. Usual Keys are not made to be write continuously. :(
A purpose of a virtual machine is to avoid any problem with the host, it's totally secure if you don't share directory. It's slower than a real machine as well.

/Bruno

Proview & Snap7 5 years 3 months ago #10039

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your answer.

I will try to justify my choices with my very modest level:

Concerning the speed: Is it slow?
Regarding the speed I have linux mint 19 on a 64GB 3.1 usb key, the speed of this usb key can go up to 200 MB/s. When I plug the usb key for example on an usb 2.0 port, only to test the speed, then Linux Mint opens after few seconds. So I think it is pretty fast.

Is it insecure?
I consider an USB key as secure as a ssd, hard disk or virtualization.

you're telling me that:
A purpose of a virtual machine is to avoid any problem with the host, it's totally secure if you don't share directory. It's slower than a real machine as well.

it's the same for an USB key, it is to avoid any problem with the host, it's totally secure if you don't share directory. However, it is faster than virtualization and it is as fast as real machine.

You know I can suggest you to do a tutorial to show you how to properly install Linux mint 19 on usb key so that you can test it yourself. I'm sure that when you will install it you won't want to use virtualization anymore. :)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 8.120 seconds