Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dev to dev & dev to runtime

Dev to dev & dev to runtime 1 year 10 months ago #10088

• Maverick
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the tips and for the tutorial, it's very instructive. Just one thing that confuses me a bit: in which configuration cases would I need to use a router? I'm currently planning to work on a project where a VirtualBox VM is the dev station, the PC is the runtime station from which I would connect to an Arduino with Ethernet Shield (with Modbus TCP/IP protocol in mind)

About modifying the "pwrdemo" project... I found out that I just forgot to enter "edit mode" (how stupid of me :D ), that's why it seemed that I was unable to modify any part of it.

Maverick/

Proview V5.5 - Ubuntu MATE 16.04 64bit
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dev to dev & dev to runtime 1 year 10 months ago #10090

• benoit
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Maverick,
1 - If I understand well your project, I suppose you plant to use one PC connected to an Arduino (with Modbus TCP/IP).
In this case, I suggest to install only the dev environment.
Note that the dev environment also include a runtime, so you can run your project as well.
So if you install the dev environment, don't install the pwrrt package.
Use eth0 to connect to Arduino.
Rem: in this configuration (when use the dev environment), you have to use a IP port (modbus) upper to 1024 (instead 502) due to root rights.

2 - You would need to use a router only if you plant to connect several stations (e.g. operators and process stations). But if you have to connect only 2 stations (1 operator and 1 process stations) you can connect directly the 2 PC thru a RJ45 cable (crossover).
To connect the Arduino, you can add an additional ethernet pci card on the process station with:
eth0 : QCombus network
eth1 : modbus network

/Ben
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by benoit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maverick

Dev to dev & dev to runtime 1 year 9 months ago #10114

• Maverick
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Marc,

It worked fine. Thanks a lot

/Maverick

Dev to dev & dev to runtime 1 year 9 months ago #10138

• Maverick
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Ben,
Seriously, could you help me about "using eth0 to connect to Arduino"... Or at least give me some good tutorials? (I'm still a beginner on Networking on Ubuntu, so I have to learn) I've tried many times so far, my Arduino Ethernet Shield just won't work... And even on the Arduino forum, I haven't found really something that could resolve it (problems on Ubuntu)...

I have:
-An Arduino MEGA 2560
-An Ethernet Shield W5100 R3 without any MAC address sticker on it (I have bent some pins on the Ethernet Shield and put some jumper wires to the corresponding pins of the MEGA)
-A crossover RJ45 cable

My configs are: Proview V5.5 - Ubuntu MATE 16.04 amd64

Best regards

/Maverick

Dev to dev & dev to runtime 1 year 9 months ago #10141

• benoit
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Maverick,
When I said "eth0" I refer to the onboard ethernet port on computer.
You can use this port to connect both stations (e.g. operator and process) thru a RJ45 cable (crossover or not, because a modern computer automatically switch tx/rx signals).
For each ethernet PC ports configurations, use a manual method (see IPv4 settings).

Of course you can use the eth0 to connect to your arduino. For this, use also a manual method.
Maybe you can see this tutorial: "//www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp_x7hvk1Yw"

About the arduino settings, I'm sorry but I don't know about that.
/Ben
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by benoit.

Dev to dev & dev to runtime 1 year 9 months ago #10143

• Maverick
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Ben,
Thanks for your reply, but I already solved it. I asked help from the guys in Arduino forum. So, it was just a matter of static IP address settings on the laptop and on the Arduino. I used a modified Webserver example on the Arduino IDE to test the connection and it finally worked.

In case it would be useful to you, this is the link to the thread in the Arduino forum:
forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=592689.0

/Maverick
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Maverick.
Time to create page: 2.033 seconds