Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Real time OS and general question

Real time OS and general question 13 years 7 months ago #965

• Snarf77
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all,

I'm sure i already asked (at least my first question) but I can't find the answer in the forum... Sorry to ask again:

What kind of operating system do you use for industrial project in proview dev team (any others users feedbacks is also welcome of course), a proprietary RT os or an open source one ?

If open source, is it possible for you to provide information concerning which one do you choose and why and how to install it (if some docs already exist) in a standard pc based (i386 or x64)

Another question is : is there already or do you plan to add any failover system to switch from a primary machine to a standby one for critical ressource applications

At last do you have any news for fast link connection development (Open powerlink or EtherCAT). I'm really interested in it, as this is something nearly mandatory for me to push Proview solution within my company.
Thank you for your time in advance

Snarf
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Real time OS and general question 13 years 7 months ago #966

• robert
  • Gold Boarder
HI Snarf,

Some 8 or 10 years ago we used to run a real time OS named Lynx. Since then we have only used Linux. Today we run a patched real time Linux, see www.osadl.org.
www.osadl.org

The Linux vanilla kernel itself has today really good support for real time capabilitites.
On the osadl-website there are good instructions on how to download and confgiure this kernel.

A failover system is not planned for addition in the near future.

Plans for implementing support for EterCAT or Ethernet Powerlink exist but I have no good answer on when that will be. Any contributions on this matter will of course be appreciated. I looked a little bit at an open source solution for EtherCAT but I found it very hard to find good documentation (any hints would be appreciated, both for Powerlink and EtherCat).

/Robert

Re:Real time OS and general question 13 years 7 months ago #969

• Snarf77
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi robert,

thanks for your answer, I will carefully have a look to the website you mentioned and plan to test it soon.

Concerning the fast link, I am far from being a system developper, I only have some standard C and linux skills. If you think this can be sufficient for certain testing tasks do not hesitate to ask and I will be happy to contribute to this great software if I can.

rgds

Snarf

Re:Real time OS and general question 13 years 7 months ago #970

• robert
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Snarf and anyone,

People who have good experience with EtherCAT or Powerlink or have knowledge on open source solutions for this are welcome to post here.

Rgds

Robert

Re:Real time OS and general question 13 years 3 months ago #1356

• Snarf77
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Proview Dev Team,

Just a small message to get some update concerning the development of Open Powerlink / EtherCAT ? Did you get some \"free\" time to progress a little bit on that subject ?

Thanks in advance

Snarf

Re:Real time OS and general question 13 years 3 months ago #1357

• Snarf77
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Proview Dev Team,

Just a small message to get some update concerning the development of Open Powerlink / EtherCAT ? Did you get some \"free\" time to progress a little bit on that subject ?

Thanks in advance

Snarf
  • Page:
Time to create page: 7.564 seconds