Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: java plug-in and web environment

java plug-in and web environment 8 years 3 months ago #7975

• JKa
  • Senior Boarder
Hi everybody!

It seems like Oracle will end java support for web browsers. Also web browsers will end eventually their support for java plug-ins. This got me concerned what will happen to Proview web environment? It relies on java right? Is there any plans on how the Proview web environment will stay alive?

Of course my main concern is how will my control system work in the future, because it is mainly operated through web browsers. Users will be getting java and web browser updates that, I guess, won't support Proviews web environment anymore. I no pro when it comes to java environment so tell me if I have misunderstood something? Is anybody else in the same situation? Any thoughts on how to cope with this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

java plug-in and web environment 8 years 3 months ago #7988

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 502
Hi JKa,

I haven't noticed this before, so I can't say we have any plans for it. The alternative is to run Proview as a java application instead, and to use Java Web Start to download and start the application. It shouldn't be so much work to do this, the difference is that instead of getting the node to connect to from the applet start URL, you have to in some way enter the host name or ip address. And there will be problems with connecting to the network, as the jar files then have to be signed.

For what I can see, IE and Safari is not affected by this and will still support java.

/Claes

java plug-in and web environment 8 years 2 months ago #8059

• grindy
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Claes and JKa

I'm also interested in this topic.
If I understand Claes, it would be possible to start the java application locally on the runtime station and use a web browser (without java applet) to connect? ...it would be great!! :woohoo:

How can I run Proview as a java application and do next steps?
thanks in advance

java plug-in and web environment 8 years 2 months ago #8062

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi grindy,

The java application is started instead of the web browser on the display node. With java web start though it can be loaded and started from a button in the web browser. But it's not dependent on the web browser, it can be started as an ordinary application. Some development work has to be done before this is possible.

/Claes

java plug-in and web environment 8 years 2 months ago #8064

• grindy
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Claes for fast reply!
Sorry but I'm confused, assuming to do this work, then it would be possible to access the application from an external station without java in a web browser ?

java plug-in and web environment 8 years 2 months ago #8065

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, the application is not running in the web browser, so there is no need for a java plugin in the web brower. As it is a java application, java has to be installed on the external station though, but not as a plugin in the browser.

/Claes
The following user(s) said Thank You: grindy
  • Page:
Time to create page: 8.709 seconds