• Page:

TOPIC: Wago Linux controller 750-860/750-863

Re:Wago Linux controller 750-860/750-863 13 years 9 months ago #826

• crl
  • Fresh Boarder
In summarize:

Performance
aop
You are right, as we strip down the runtime of Proview to a minimum it might be even more performant than Codesys.
CoDeSys performances correspond to what we expect with this controller. If it suitable for CoDeSys, it should be suitable for Proview. I believe we do not need much power for running PLC software. A PLC program is composed of boolean, integer and float operation.

Cross compilation
claes
Proview is already adapted to embedded Linux and cross compilation. Furthermore its ported to ARM and this version is tested on the Fox G20 board. It's built with glibc but I don't think it will be any problem to use uClibc instead.
Fox G20 Borad : AT91SAM9G20 @ 400 MHz (Atmel) / 64Mb Ram /
I did not know this hardware. This sound interesting…

Memory
claes
The problem with the Wago 750-86x is the size of the flash. It will be a challange to strip down Proview to this size...
Yes this is a challenge. The 750-860 has 4Mb flash. The 750-863 has 8Mb flash.
So we may give priority to the 750-863.

Price
aop
Here are the list - prices for the Beckhoff CX CPU's:
CX1000 (266MHz x86, 32MB RAM, CF) --> 481 Euro
CX1010 (500MHz x86, 256MB RAM, CF) --> 585 Euro
CX1020 (1GHz x86, 256MB, RAM, CF) --> 835 Euro
ulflj
WAGO have more modules not specified soley for linux like the 758-870, with a little better performance, but the will probably cost more also.
Price for wago :
- 760-830 --> 560CHF ~ 448 Euro
- 760-863 --> 670CHF ~ 536 Euro
- 758-870 --> 1700CHF ~ 1360 Euro
- 750-341 --> 507CHF ~ 406 Euro (Modbus TCP coupler)
- 750-841 --> 559CHF ~ 447 Euro (Ethernet CoDeSys controller)

I am really surprised by lowest price of Beckhoff CX1000 series...!

Up to now, I believed that Wago PLC, has better ratio price/performance solution than other major PLC vendor.

I am revising my opinion...

Instead of that, ethically, Beckoff is more oriented Microsoft, in contrary Wago is open source compliant.

Strategy and goals
aop
So, which means we should focus on price issues. What are your targets? Do you intend to use hundreds of controllers in e.g. building automation?
Why not? I would like to be able do it with Proview, if I would have this opportunity.

I am working for a small electrical engineering companies. We are working on automation project, principally for chemical process industries in Switzerland, but also for infrastructure or building automation. I generally work with Simatic S7, S5, GeFannuc, Saia and Wago/CoDeSys, according to what our client want.

I am a little bit frustrated by proprietary software as they become more and more heavy.

My short- term target is to evaluate open source possibilities in automation. I discover Proview and I am very excited by what we can do. I have a very good feeling with objects programming approach.

My long-term target could be providing engineering and support for Proview in my area. I think there are business opportunities for open source automation. It is an advantage over concurrent as software licenses are free. It may be also possible to sold preconfigured systems.

But, I think I would have more chance to convince clients with embedded systems like Wago or Beckoff than a PC with decentralized IO.

Proview is very suitable for big installation, but not really adapted for small project. I think it is important to cover all need. So we can have same knowledge in all fields. Actually, CoDeSys is the best for embedded systems, and they are currently moving to cover big installation too.

Other observation, every process control system can run on dedicated hardware. For example, Siemens PCS7 can run into S7-300/400.

Regards

Rey Cyril

Post edited by: crl, at: 2010/12/28 11:46
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Wago Linux controller 750-860/750-863 13 years 9 months ago #830

• ulflj
  • Fresh Boarder
On a side note I can say that I opened an S7-CPU the other day, and it's main CPU seems to be an AMD386-40 with about 16Mb of RAM.

Re:Wago Linux controller 750-860/750-863 13 years 9 months ago #865

• Maden
  • Expert Boarder
claes wrote:
Furthermore its ported to ARM and this version is tested on the Fox G20 board. It's built with glibc but I don't think it will be any problem to use uClibc instead.

Hi Claes,

will the ARM port be included in a future release? Is this port already accessible in some way? Would be interesting to have a look at it.

I managed to compile the runtime against uClibc (see here), but some patches to the ProView source code are necessary.

Ondrej

Re:Wago Linux controller 750-860/750-863 13 years 9 months ago #874

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 502
Hi Ondrej,

It will be included in the next release with an instruction of how to setup the crosscompilation environment and how to build a project.

I think most of it is available in the 4.7.0 source code although there are some changes made later. You will find the build files in the os_linux/hw_arm directories for each component.

/Claes

Re:Wago Linux controller 750-860/750-863 13 years 9 months ago #876

• Maden
  • Expert Boarder
That sounds great. With ProView already prepared for the ARM architecture, also the Artila Box computers seem like a very interesting hardware solution for the process station.

Ondrej

Re:Wago Linux controller 750-860/750-863 13 years 3 months ago #1299

• crl
  • Fresh Boarder
Maden wrote:
That sounds great. With ProView already prepared for the ARM architecture, also the Artila Box computers seem like a very interesting hardware solution for the process station.j
In the same area it is also the Beagle Board which may be interesting. But in fact, that kind of hardware did not yet have integrated industrial grade input output like Wago or Beckoff. Although a project, based on beagle board exist: BeaglePLC.

Maden, how would you interface you process actuators and sensors with an Atila box?

I notice there is some similar post in this forum related to low cost or dedicated hardware. Most all of them seem to require electronic design development to be realistic. I think development of such electronic does not appear profitable (return of investment).

Nevertheless, I imagine I2C bus support in Proview may be interesting. This will allow easy custom IO design and low cost integrated process station development. For example: I2C usb interface

Post edited by: crl, at: 2010/12/28 14:12
  • Page:
Time to create page: 8.556 seconds