Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: IO guide question

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1342

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 502
Hi Snarf,

I've done some more testing with the Arduino board and it looks quite good. I have it running at 10 ms and the I/O handling takes about 6-7 ms. The interface to the board is made the last couple of weeks so its not included in V4.8.0, but it would be great if you could check it out a little bit more and see how useful it is. If you do I will build a new release where it is included till February.

The support for embedded Linux and ARM architecture though is included in V4.8.0 and I have it running on my Fox G20 board with a little plc and I have also tested the GPIO and the 1-wire bus with a Dallas temperature sensor. I have installed a small web server, so it's actually possible to get a HMI via the web interface.

The GPIO support in the Linux kernel, is something that is called 'generic GPIO', and it depends on the platform if it is implemented or not. It's hard to find information about which platforms support it, so I don't know how common it is. It possible that it's mainly implemented on embedded systems with a larger amount of available GPIO.

/Claes
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1348

• Snarf77
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Claes,

That sounds pretty good to hear...

I have no problem to test it (I will try to buy a module this week (don't know the delivery time but as soon as I get it I can try testing).

Would it be possible for you to send me a basic proview config to help me starting with (How to configure your node, IO handler, RAck config (if still needed)) and so on... Thanks in advance for all helpful information.

In your test, did you manage to configure each channel either in DI, DO or Analog ?

I also read in the module datasheet about a programmable reset to allow (if I undertstood well) modifying the configuration without manual power reset to validate. Did that feature work ?

A last question, do you think it could be possible to connect more than one module to a proview process station ? There is some cases where I will need more that 50 IOs ...

Anyway thanks again for your great work. I hope to be able to help a little bit...

Concerning the GPIO, I still have in mind to test a computer like the one I mentionned. I understood from your post that it is complicated to know in advance if the hardware will be supported or not. If I get one, is there a way to know (terminal command or other) if it will be ompatible with Proview GPIO feature ? I just want to avoid setting all the configuration to discover it is not afterwards...

Rgds

Francois

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1353

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Francois,

The Mega2560 has 16 Ai and 54 digital pins, and the 54 digital pins can individually be configured as inputs or outputs. The two first digital pins have some connection to the USB port and can't be used as far as I can see. It is possible that the Ai channels can be used as Di/Do also but this isn't implemented in Proview.

I think reset has to do with downloading a new program, and this only has to be done once when initiating the board with the Proview communication program. Changing the I/O configuration can be done without a reset. I haven't managed to get the soft restart of the Proview runtime to work though. The board resets its outputs when the switch of plc program is done.

Regarding the number of connected Arduino boards, there is no limitation in Proview. But it requires that the boards get the same port name after every reboot, as Proview uses the port name (e.g /dev/ttyACM0) to attach the board. It seems to be the case with my two boards, a Mega2560 and an Uno.

I have added a chapter in Guide to I/O Systems about how to configure the Arduino board. I'll be back with some more info when the new release is built.

About the GPIO:

If GPIO is implemented the menu alternative

Devic Drivers -> GPIO Support -> 'sys/class/gpio...(sysfs interface)'

in the kernel config menu should be present and selected. Then you can handle the GPIO from the file system. There is a description here on how to do this

http://foxg20.acmesystems.it/doku.php?id=tutorial:gpio

in section 'How Linux manages the GPIO lines (sysfs method)'

I also think that the file /usr/include/asm/gpio.h should be present if GPIO is implemented.

/Claes

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1405

• marc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
I think I am a little lost again.
If I understand it well, then I don't need kernel modules at all for the motioncontrol I/O, Velleman K8055 or other USB devices because Proview is communication (objects and methods) by using the link to the library in the *.opt file in the exe-directory?

Or am I now the first one on the \"award list\" of \"most stupid question in 2011\" on the wall somewhere in Oxelösund?

/Marc
Please, use the Wiki if you succeeded your project or solved your problem. Share your work, so we can learn from each other.

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1408

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
It depends what the libraries in the .opt file do, if they call a device specific driver (as in the MotionControl case) or uses a Linux standard driver (as in the Velleman case). The library doesn't replace the driver, its just an interface to the driver.

/Claes

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1409

• Snarf77
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Claes,

Just to inform that I bought my Arduino module which normally will be sent to France within few days.

I you could just give me some information about how to start with it (patch if needed or small config to reproduce...) I would appreciate a lot.

Marc,

Don't worry, I will fight hard to be on the wall of \"shame' in Oxelösund...

Rgds

Snarf
Time to create page: 8.856 seconds