Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: IO guide question

IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1300

• Snarf77
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a USB IO system compliant with Proview and I'm wondering wether to choose the MotionUSB device or the Kelleman K8055 ?

In the IO guide, I read that a full read write cycle takes around 25ms with the kelleman product. Does anyone from experience or measurement know what is the figure for the motion usb device. (I'd like to reach 10ms)

Can also somone confirms that the 8 customizable channels in the motionusb device are customisable one by one (I guess but just want to be sure...).

By reading the IO guide, I have another question regarding the GPIO. I don't understand exactly what is it for ? Is that something to manage the IO system sometimes available within some industrial computer featuring few IO directly onto the casing (ex: www.arbor.com.tw/products/detail.aspx?Product_Name=Arpex-1610).
This feature is really interesting for me (to avoid buying an external IO system when only very few IO are needed), If GPIO is the answer I'm a lucky man. If not, does someone know if this is something easily feasible o manage those kind of IOs (driver ? linux compatibilty ?...)

Many thanks in advance to whom will answer.

B.Regards

Snarf
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1305

• claes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 502
Hi Snarf,

I have a system running with MotionControl USBIO and the I/O handling takes about 20 ms. It is configured with 3 Ai but I don't know if or how this configuration affects the speed.

The eight channels on port B can be individually configured as Di, Do or Ai (the Ai's have to be configured on the first channels though).

I'm running this board with Ubuntu 9.10 and it's not 100% stable. After a couple of month the USB connections hangs and the driver has to be restarted. I have solved this by setting the EmergencyBreak action in Proview to reboot, and as I have a very slow process, a reboot works fine for med, but I can see cases when it doesn't.

You don't need any driver for the GPIO, it's supported by the Linux kernel. You just have to check that it is included in the kernel configuration. I have only tested this on my Fox G20 board, which has about 30 GPIO connections that can be used as either Di or Do.

Right now I'm doing some tests with an Arduino Mega2560 USB board. It also takes about 30 ms on the default configuration with 9600 baud on the USB port, but by increasing the baud rate to 38400 it's actually possible to reach 7.5 ms (digital signals only), and would be possible to run with a cycle time of 10 ms.

/Claes

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1314

• Snarf77
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Claes,

Many thanks for your answers. I didn't know about hanging problem with the motion usb product which is something really embarassing for me. I'm looking (like everyone) for a low cost solution but stability is my fist requirement.

I already heard about the Arduino Mega2560 USB board but I didn't know it could be interfaced with proview. I'm reallly happy to hear you're working on it. Is it possible for you to share with me some of your config/results (speed, interface configuration, proview config to use) I would be very pleased. I will start my own tests in february to determine which IO I can use (depending mainly on the speed and stability) and if you need some beta testing on this feature, I will perhaps have some available time to help the community (my boss will perhpas not share totally my point of view but I will handle that !!)

Can you provide a little bit more information concerning GPIO. I'm still missing something...Do you mean that every computer featuring I/O on its motherboard is automatically usable with proview if the kernel is managing it ? If so I would be happy to try some computer like the one I mentionned in my previous post.

You're FOx G20 can also be really interesting for small I/O box with low process. Did you manage to run proview runtime on it and to build a plc task using the io already ?
I also like the daisy connector feature which is really a nice feature to provide serial link connection or pushbuttons capabilities The only drawback (for me) is the lack of vga connection (I need a minimal GUI interface on my process station (preferably tactile)) and perhaps the treatment capabilty limitation (any figures ?).

B.Regards

Snarf

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1315

• marc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Hi Snarf,

There is a big difference in prices as well.

The motioncontrol I/O is around $370 and the K8055 around $50 if you are be able to solder yourself. If you don't want to assemble yourself search on google for: VM110

I have a motioncontrol I/O and since yesterday a K8055.
But for me it's bloody irritating because lack of time.
I am working for a technical school in Denmark and want to use Proview in a pilot project and they promised me \"hours\" but for all kind of reasons I can't get the time. The motioncontrol I/O is still in a box......

Tomorrow I am going to \"play\" with the K8055 and hopefully next week with the motioncontrol.

Off topic:

Hi Clæs, great to read you're busy with a Arduino as well!
How the hack do you find the time to sleep?

And of course the best wishes for 2011.....

/Marc

Post edited by: marc, at: 2011/01/05 15:08

Post edited by: marc, at: 2011/01/06 10:46
Please, use the Wiki if you succeeded your project or solved your problem. Share your work, so we can learn from each other.

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1322

• Snarf77
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Marc,

Thanks for your information and for your kind offer to borrow it... Unfortunately I live in France, so it will be difficult to arrange this. Anyway many thanks for this !!

Don't hesitate to keep me informed about of your test and trials, i'm really interested in this kind of IO solution.

Best regards

Francois

Ps: Happy new year to all of you and all the best for both your family and you...

Re:IO guide question 13 years 3 months ago #1327

• marc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Hi Francois,

I read some posts from you and you're a nice guy.
People say I am completely nuts, but I am happy with that.
My opinion is that too many people using Proview don't give feedback enough.
They ask on the forum, the developers answers the questions, friendly, bloody quick and high skilled...
People say...., thanks..., now it works and the are gone.

Lets call this project the \"IO-Hardware-Proview-GPLv4-roulator\"
On the bottom of the K8055 I am going to write my name and address (I am the owner).
I am going to sent the K8055 to you.
You can do with it what you want BUT you're giving feedback to the community.
(desktop recording on vimeo/youtube, screenshots, config files, small projects, etc)

If you explored the K8055 enough than you can sent it back or you sent it to another forum member who is interested.
Same story for him and in my dreams it is travelling around the world and ends in my mailbox again when I am 80 years old, still working.....

If you're interested drop me a mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

/Marc
Please, use the Wiki if you succeeded your project or solved your problem. Share your work, so we can learn from each other.
Time to create page: 9.031 seconds